Monday, August 13, 2007

Our Saturday Tradition....



In attempt to get back to posting more regularly, I thought I'd fill you in on our famiy's Saturday morning summer tradition....our neighborhood farmer's market! We have been loving the market this summer. Every Saturday I get up really looking forward to walking the streets to the market, picking up a coffee along the way, and strolling through the aisles of brightly colored produce and flowers, all grown locally by the vendors themselves. I love the connection of actually seeing the people who grow the food I am eating, and love the fact that I can support them directly in this way.



I love that the food only travelled a short distance to get to me, rather than hundreds of miles on a semi-truck to be unloaded in some major grocery store. I love how fresh the peaches and cherries taste and how we are growing to recognize faces as we shop there week after week. I just love the whole idea of it.


Zara is in heaven as she samples tastes from each stand along the way, especially when she gets to the "squeaky cheese", her favorite. I love seeing neighbors and my siblings (who recently moved here) and people i know week after week. I love the music and the freshness and the bustling activity. Just another reason I love summers in Seattle....
(my sister kate is visiting this week and took these adorable photos!)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

i miss seattle. i miss everything about it. looking up, and catching a glimpse at mt. ranier, seeing the puget sound with sail boats on it, being in a busy city that thrives on creativity and diversity...i miss it. i love the pics of the farmers market. that's one of our favorite things to do in the summer, too. love you all!

mrs. bland said...

I love these pictures!!!

Here's something funny-- Grandma and Grandpa Fielitz used to take me to this super small grocery store in Pettisville and they'd always buy me squeaky cheese!!! It was my all time favorite...and still is.

Love you Zara!!
Aunt Mindy

Anonymous said...

I too love the joys of the Farmer's Market although I know the Suburban Texan version is probably quite different from yours!
Beautiful photos!
Clayre