Thursday, June 28, 2007

Breathe




I just had the best day. Not only was it special because Zach and I got to have a whole day alone together (that doesn’t happen often!), but also because we spent the day in Glacier National Park in Montana which is just about the most gorgeous place I have ever seen.
This week we are vacationing with Zach’s family in Montana and since we are staying so close to Glacier, we decided we needed to take a day trip to the park. I don’t know what it is exactly, but something about spending an entire day surrounded by beautiful scenery and untouched wilderness brought a refreshment that would be hard to find anywhere else. I sat back and took it all in. I felt I could breathe deeply and even just take time to listen to myself breathe. I noticed things I don’t usually notice….both in nature and in myself. I sat and watched and looked and listened. I felt at peace with myself, free for a moment from the demands and stress and insecurities that make up many of my days. I think there’s something about being in the vastness of creation that gives a bit of perspective….helps me see outside myself, helps me see that maybe I’m going to be okay and maybe the things that are stressing me out are not quite as overwhelming as they feel.
On the way home we had the windows down, music blaring and the wind whipping across our faces….a glorious end to a glorious day.
I hope for more days like today….

3 comments:

Julie Johnson said...

i'm glad you guys had such a great time, you deserve it...and i can't believe you saw bears and moose. i'm jealous.

carly smith said...

awwwwww, montana! glad you guys had such a great time in my homestate! :)

... said...

I just found the rupps online! ha. HELLO! it's been a long time! do u remember me? zach i miss u (genuinely). seeing yours photos made memories come back. i got engaged over a month ago and am getting married next march. i'll be checking this blog for updates! dave mcmullen